Anndi's Luggage: Yipee!! Music tag!! And I'm it!
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Monday, May 14, 2007

Yipee!! Music tag!! And I'm it!

Travis knew this would be right down my alley knowing I’m a rocker chick with an affinity for guitars, Rock, and the Blues... and on Mother's Day he gave me a wonderful gift.. homework. GUITAR solo homework!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Getting to share this with Chicklet and her cherry (actually the colour is raspberry) new Alvarez guitar, fantastic!

Favourite Guitar solos, no problem! Wait… picking just 5? Big Problem!

I decided to pick from my favourite artists and give you a taste of what some have called the best guitar solos of all time. I could have gone the "safe" route, but I wanted to share songs that mean something to me, either because of how it makes me feel, the memories associated with it, or the plain righteous vibe they set forth.

There are obvious choices... and Travis already covered some of my all time favourite solos… Be sure and visit him and listen to some outstanding guitar solos.


The first song that came to mind blows me away every single time I hear it… It's slow, simple, long and it makes me close my eyes and sigh... You won't find it on any of the "official" greatest guitar solo lists.. it was one of those previously unreleased songs that was most likely laying around in a vault until someone realized just how sweet it is and included on a career retrospective CD. I share with you...

Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Blues Medley.
It’s a sit out in the sun, with a beer and a gentle breeze kind of tune. It includes bits of B.B. King's Sweet Little Angel, one of my all time favourite songs. It's one big ole guitar solo and if you love the sound of a guitar, it's one of those songs you just might enjoy.
So... get your favourite beverage, go outside, sit in the sun ( I should probably remind you about sunscreen)… kick off your shoes and TURN IT UP!




You can't... Well, I can't have a guitar list without The Great One himself: Mr. B.B. King.
This has to be one of the best of all time... if I could just find a way to see him perform live, I could scratch one of the great to-dos on my list.

The Thrill is Gone



I share my birthday with one of the best guitarists who ever graced us with his talent, one who was tragically taken from us too soon, Stevie Ray Vaughn. His death left a void that has not to this day been filled.

The great thing about this version is... the great B.B. King and the late Albert Collins play on it. Three of the great guitar legends... It may be too much for me to stand.


Texas Flood … that’s some mighty righteous guitar on there.




I’ve seen Carlos Santana live 3 times.. one of the best experiences was back at the stage at La Ronde in Montreal. They have some phenomenal shows and fireworks displays. That was were I saw Santana for the first time.. outdoors, on a hot Montreal summer night, and you could actually see stars (which can be hard to do with all the light pollution). And the sounds of Santana filled the air.. SWEET!
Europa appears on the usual guitar aficionados lists… At a Santana concert, something happens.. you can feel the music course through your body.. you can see it run through the crowd… and it takes over. A truly orgasmic experience as far as concerts are concerned, he gives great guitar solo. There are no words to express what takes over at one of his concerts.. the atmosphere is charged, electrified. It's MAGIC. I had to insert a video for this one. Watching him play is a joy.

One of the reasons I love Carlos so much (apart from his shoes and charity) is the Joy he clearly feels when he shares his great love of music with the audience, and especially with the musicians onstage with him. It took a long time for him to garner the kind of recognition he deserves.. far too long.



Travis justly referred to Santana’s Samba Pa Ti as “seduction through guitar”… this next song fits the bill.

It's one of the greatest rock songs of all time – from one of the greatest rock bands (oooh and Robert Plant- the Hair.. the Voice... the jeans... oh my.. THUD). Jimmy Page makes his guitar sing… watch his fingers in this clip. If you've never seen "The Song Remains The Same", do yourselves a favour.

Led Zeppelin’s – Since I’ve Been Loving You. Prepare to THUD or THUMP. It's a lying in bed naked, sweating and panting, exhausted and exhilirated kind of song.



Well.. I don't know about you but I'm breathless...
I know what you're thinking... No Clapton? THE Guitar God? Well, Travis already included him and I would have (were I a cheat) included "Crossroads" ... but I had to try and follow the rules. No Jimi.. . well, that's simply because I can't pick just one... It's like trying to eat just one chip or peanut at a party when the bowl is staring at you calling out your name! Oh.. and um.. you might want to give "Comfortably Numb" a listen (find a live version - Pink Floyd was easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to).
Just sayin'...


I guess I'm supposed to tag people... I tag John, Angell (I really do love tagging you girlfriend!) and Starrlight. That should cover diversity. Anyone else who wants to play, just join in!


Love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Yipee!! Music tag!! And I'm it!"

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (10:56 PM) : 

Europa! That was the other Santana I was trying to remember.

You did this one proud darlin, just as I expected! Absolutely perfect choices.

 

Blogger Angell said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Awwww man - you guys are gonna kill me here.

Ok, ok, I'll have them up soon....

*starts mentally going through her vinyl*

 

Blogger Sparky Duck said ... (10:28 AM) : 

what no Joe Satriani or Stevie Ray Vaughn???

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Favourite Guitar solos?

1. "Wherever I May Roam", Metallica.

2. "Fly Me Courageous", Drivin' N Cryin'

3. "Holy Water", Bad Company

4. "One", Metallica

5. "Do You Feel Like We Do?", Peter Frampton

Runner-up: "Don't Fear the Reaper", Blue Oyster Cult. No, wait...you said "guitar" and not "cowbell"! My bad.

 

Blogger Dan said ... (12:16 PM) : 

You made some pretty cool choices there! You're cooler than I thought. But don't worry. I already thought you were WAY cool. Just now even cooler. :)

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (2:21 PM) : 

WOW I knew yours would be fabulous and you didn't disappoint.

Love it

Smooch

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (10:34 PM) : 

SUPER LIST MY FRIEND

You know your axe players

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Tagged! Ok I will ponder this one and post tomorrow. Just 5?? Owie =(

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Ok Anndi mine is done and I broke the rules and did 10. Cause I am a rebel like that. And wow...did I see Drivin' and Cryin' listed above? Dang!

 

post a comment