Anndi's Luggage: It's almost Mother's Day...
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Saturday, May 12, 2007

It's almost Mother's Day...

I decided I should laugh...


My moods in the past few months have ranged from silly and giggling , all the way to doom and dread. That usually happens when I take a peek at the laundry room and decide that maybe we should just move to somewhere warm, join a nudist colony (considering the picture on the left, me thinks the Chicklet might not mind) and be done with the need for laundry.



Whenever I start taking this notion too seriously I remind myself that they would probably make me give up shoes, sandals and boots (Oh the Humanity!) and that I cannot do. My regular reader has witnessed my fondness for footwear on more than one occasion (Guys, I promise the slideshow is coming... Aunt Bertha and Uncle Gus have nothing on this one!).



But in all actuality, most of the time I just feel an overwhelming void. And the impending shadow of Mothers Day is making it worse.




You really don't have to read on.. you might just want to skip to the video.. or hit the next blog button. What comes next isn't cheerful and is just a form of catharsis for me. I am decidedly not writing it to elicit any sympathy, but because I have to get it out. To those of you who have reached out to me in the past few days, knowing, I thank you. I love you much...

Since Mom's death almost 4 months ago, I've been covering up a lot of sadness. Trying to live, survive, move on, be brave, make people laugh and all that crap (the life goes on version of "rub a little dirt on it... and walk it off").
I feel like the only thing keeping me tied to the real world most of the time is my beautiful, sparkling and precious daughter.

Every once in a while I get a good day, but sadness always gets to me sooner or later (usually the former). It lurks like the monster under the bed or the creepies in the closet.

I can't set foot in my parents' house without feeling sick to my stomach. There are too many memories there. And although you might think it to be comforting to be surrounded by memories and things that are associated with a loved one who has passed, for me, in this case.. it just isn't. Not so many of them at once. That was my mother's house, it feels hollow and dead without her. She hadn't lived in the house since last summer when we she started getting sick and had to be rushed to the hospital. But somehow, it still felt like she was there.

I've gone through the motions of every holiday and special occasion that was important to my mother since her death...

I went through the motions of Valentine's Day because of Chicklet... but to me, it was just the one-month anniversary of my mother's death.

I was grateful for my ex-mother-in-law who hosted a party for my daughter's birthday. I just couldn't do it, she knew... I'm certain of it. She knows the pain of losing a mother, she's gone through it herself.

The time Chicklet and I got to spend with my sweet friend Mary and the ever charming and darling Alex (aka Bug) meant more to me than she could have ever imagined. I Love you Flygirl. I was grateful to wake up in a hotel, on a trip with my Chicklet on Easter morning, just the two of us... it was unlike anything we had ever done while Mom was alive.
I don't think my father and I really wanted to celebrate his birthday either... Birthdays were Mom's thing, she got the cake or made it, and made sure we had cards to give. But, Chicklet and I drove together to Dad's house (I can't get used to calling it that) because Mom would have wanted me to, and Chicklet wanted to give her Papou a birthday kiss.

St. Paddy's day was an exception because it has always been big for me and wasn't part of Mom's main holidays. So, that one holiday, I gladly participated in. It was wonderful seeing Chicklet's enthusiasm for it. And she and I started new traditions. Life goes on ... we rubbed some dirt on it and walked it off.

And now I find myself on the eve of Mother's Day... Chicklet has made some presents for me at school, and I know they will be beautiful and I will cherish them.

I miss Mom but I know she would give me hell for moping on Mother's Day. I'll just focus on Chicklet's joy and hold her tight.

I really do apologize if you actually read through this and it harshed your mellow. Rub a little dirt on it.. and walk it off.



We may as well laugh... Mom loved to...


So, as Mother's Day is almost upon us...




I haven't met a mother yet who hasn't felt that eye-twitch... the one often triggered my a small child calling out repeatedly "mommy... mommy... mommy... mom... mom... momma... momma.." a la Stewie Griffin. Or the one you get as you're driving through traffic, late for work or an important appointment, or exhausted from a long day at work dealing with moronic questions and requests you want to answer by using the magic 8-ball... and your child finds the long lost whistle and proceeds to blow it with unadulterated glee as if heralding the coming of the Messiah. You know that whistle... the one that had been wedged and forgotten in between the cushions of the back seat along with a penny, a couple of Goldfish crackers (No!! Don't you put that in your mouth!!!), some mysterious goop - which may have been a grape in a previous life (they do not always turn into raisins it seems), and a rock. The plain ordinary rock that your child has decided holds magical powers as it is a vestige of an ancient druid temple and has found it's way across the ocean in some Viking's tunic (try explaining to your child that Druids and Stonehenge are not contemporary to Vikings.. it's a lost cause) ... yeah.. THAT rock! At that precise moment, your head feels like it's going to spin around like Linda Blair's and fall right off like the guy's head in that mint commercial. You just want to scream... and shove the child off the ice.

And then.. your child giggles... she tells you she loves you... your heart melts... and she lives to see another day.
A true Mommy moment.


Love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "It's almost Mother's Day..."

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Happy Mom's Day, Anndi =)

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (10:34 PM) : 

Hugs darlin.

I always wondered, and perhaps you can satisfy my curiosity. Why not answer the child on the first query?

Or is that just something a guy doesn't understand?

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11:56 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (12:01 AM) : 

My dear friend

May your day with chicklet be filled with love and smiles and laughs.

Mom will be watching over you and feeling your love for her and it will be returned ten-fold in the smiles and laughter of your precious daughter.

Happy Mother's Day

Kiss

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (4:54 AM) : 

I second Vinny's sentiments...he said it so beautifully what more could there be to add!

Love ya baby girl!

 

Blogger TopChamp said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Hello, Sorry you're sad. Your manic monday post was LOVELY by the way.

Happy Mothers Day I hope despite what you say. We have mothers' day on a TOTALLY diff day to everyone else in the world it seems. Wonder why that is. Ours is long gone - think it was in March but I have to say I usually wait for the cards and decorations to appear in shops.

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (12:12 PM) : 

Your post reminded me of my dad. He would always say, "shake it off". My mom is gone as well Anndi, but she is still with me. Happy Mother's Day!!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Starrlight

Thank you honey. You too!

Travis

Hugs back bro.
I think it's genetic.

Vince

Thank you sweet friend.
Chicklet has and always will be my sunshine.

Kisses

Topchamp

Thank you.. it comes and goes. Life trudges onward. I'm glad you liked it.

Matty

Good advice! I like shaking things up. Moms are always with us.
Thank you (she really did do a good job with you overall BTW.)

 

Blogger John Holland said ... (5:50 PM) : 

What can someone say to make the grief any less at a time like this? There are many cliches to say, a lot of them are cliches because sometimes they help, but in the end it's all just words. Like you said you have to put a little dirt on it and walk it off. I wish there were magic words to say that would make you feel better, but sadly there isn't. The death of a parent is on my mind a lot these days, my Dad is doing great one day, then next day the nurse tells him he has only a month to live (not the doctor, the nurse tells him this, which the doctor says is not true), so my heart goes out to you. Hug your daughter, your mom lives on in you and your thoughts.

 

Blogger Jane said ... (12:53 AM) : 

Hugs, hugs, hugs, Anndi.

 

Blogger Coco said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Hug, sweetie.

 

Blogger Angell said ... (12:50 PM) : 

GIANT HUGS MY FRIEND.

Hope it was bearable.

We love you.

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (4:56 PM) : 

Big, ol' puppy licks and hugs to you, Anndi! I hope, as the days go on, that you get more good days than bad. That was a cute video by the way! I wonder how many moms feel like doing something like that every so often? Probably all of them! LOL :)

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (9:38 PM) : 

(((HUGS))) Love you sis... I can relate to everything you have written.

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (12:45 AM) : 

I'm late with my reading and comments, but this year I was melancholy on Mothers' Day. Dunno why - just was. Missing my mom more for some reason.

Anyway, those mommy moments in the midst of the madness and sorrow make it all wonderful, don't they?

I hope you had a blessed Mothers' Day.

 

Blogger Dan said ... (10:56 PM) : 

I miss Mom but I know she would give me hell for moping on Mother's Day. I'll just focus on Chicklet's joy and hold her tight.

Amen. Then you do what Mom wants you to do ... it's Mother's Day, after all.

Hugs Sweetie. What you're going through is very, very tough. When you're sad, cry. When you're happy, smile. You're beautiful no matter what.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (11:55 PM) : 

I knew it would be difficult for you Sweet Ann. Father's day is coming up and I'm already dreading it.

...all my life's a circle, sunrise and sunset....H. Chapin

Hugs baby girl.

 

post a comment