Anndi's Luggage: Daddy's Poem
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Friday, May 18, 2007

Daddy's Poem

A dear friend sent me this.. I felt compelled to post it and not just forward the e-mail.


Her hair was up in a pony tail,

her favorite dress tied with a bow.

Today was Daddy's Day at school,

and she couldn't wait to go.



But her mommy tried to tell her,

that she probably should stay home.

Why the kids might not understand,

if she went to school alone.



But she was not afraid;

she knew just what to say.

What to tell her classmates

of why he wasn't there today.



But still her mother worried,

for her to face this day alone.

And that was why once again,

she tried to keep her daughter home.



But the little girl went to school

eager to tell them all.

About a dad she never sees

a dad who never calls.



There were daddies along the wall in back,

for everyone to meet.

Children squirming impatiently,

anxious in their seats



One by one the teacher called

a student from the class.

To introduce their daddy,

as seconds slowly passed.



At last the teacher called her name,

every child turned to stare.

Each of them was searching,

a man who wasn't there.



'Where's her daddy at?'

She heard a boy call out.

'She probably doesn't have one,'

another student dared to shout.



And from somewhere near the back,

she heard a daddy say,

'Looks like another deadbeat dad,

too busy to waste his day.'



The words did not offend her,

as she smiled up at her Mom.

And looked back at her teacher,

who told her to go on.

And with hands behind her back,

slowly she began to speak.

And out from the mouth of a child,

came words incredibly unique.



'My Daddy couldn't be here,

because he lives so far away.

But I know he wishes he could be,

since this is such a special day.



And though you cannot meet him,

I wanted you to know.

All about my daddy,

and how much he loves me so.



He loved to tell me stories

he taught me to ride my bike.

He surprised me with pink roses,

and taught me to fly a kite.



We used to share fudge sundaes,

and ice cream in a cone.

And though you cannot see him.

I'm not standing here alone.



'Cause my daddy's always with me,

even though we are apart

I know because he told me,

he'll forever be in my heart'

With that, her little hand reached up,

and lay across her chest.

Feeling her own heartbeat,

beneath her favorite dress.



And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads,

her mother stood in tears.

Proudly watching her daughter,

who was wise beyond her years.



For she stood up for the love

of a man not in her life.

Doing what was best for her,

doing what was right.



And when she dropped her hand back down,

staring straight into the crowd.

She finished with a voice so soft,

but its message clear and loud.



'I love my daddy very much,

he's my shining star.

And if he could, he'd be here,

but heaven's just too far.



You see he is a Marine

and died just this past year

When a roadside bomb hit his convoy

and taught Americans to fear.

But sometimes when I close my eyes,

it's like he never went away.'

And then she closed her eyes,

and saw him there that day.



And to her mothers amazement,

she witnessed with surprise.

A room full of daddies and children,

all starting to close their eyes.



Who knows what they saw before them,

who knows what they felt inside.

Perhaps for merely a second,

they saw him at her side.



'I know you're with me Daddy,'

to the silence she called out.

And what happened next made believers,

of those once filled with doubt.



Not one in that room could explain it,

for each of their eyes had been closed.

But there on the desk beside her,

was a fragrant long-stemmed pink rose.



And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,

by the love of her shining star.

And given the gift of believing,

that heaven is never too far.





Take the time...to live and love.


More soldiers are coming home draped in their flag.



Thank a soldier or a veteran today.
Stay safe Sgt. Dub.
Lest we forget.






I love you all more than my luggage.
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Daddy's Poem"

 

Blogger Twyla said ... (8:23 AM) : 

I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out. I'm so glad you posted this.
It's horrible how many soldiers are losing their lives. They are so brave, and their family's are brave too. I know this is SO selfish, but I could never let one of my family members go over there (even though I know the ones who do, don't have a choice). I don't think I could live with the worry.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (8:47 AM) : 

OH SURE.... start my morning off with tears.. now my eyes are gonna be red and puffy all day long.

This was heart wrenching but so so appropriate my dear friend

Not a Smooch kind of post, but a HUG post

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Damn you Anndi...But I mean that in a good way. Cheers!!

 

Blogger Angell said ... (11:49 AM) : 

*blows nose*

Ann - awwww girl - why you making me cry?

I'm gonna go hug my daddy now...

*leaves box of tissues for the rest of the readers* Help yourselves guys...

 

Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Anndi,
I have had many posts bring tears to my eyes, but this is the first to make me cry. Thank you for posting this, and thank you for sending the warm wishes.

 

Blogger MrsDub said ... (2:09 PM) : 

What a beautiful poem and I'm so thankful that our soldier will be coming home to us very soon.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Twyla,

It took me a while to be able to stop crying myself. I know what you mean.

Vince,

You big ole softie you.

Hugs back

Matt-man,

Thanks babe.

Angell,

Give him an extra one for me sweetie.

Sgt Dub,

Hugs, love and prayers are sent to you every day.
Thank you for what you do.
Thank you for stepping up and defending everyone's right to freedom.
Give your mates in Afghanistan my best wishes and love. Tell them someone they don't know cares about their safety and knows the world is a better place for they are a part of it.

May angels follow you and keep you safe.

Take care of yourself.

SMOOCH

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Mrs Dub

Thank you for sharing your hero with us.
Thank you for being patient.
I can only imagine the sorrow when another soldier passes, that you share in the grief as a member of your military family makes the ultimate sacrifice.

I keep you and yours, along with all military families in my heart every day.

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (5:38 PM) : 

Oh man, that was just so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Another wonderful tribute. Excellent my dear.

 

Blogger Gail said ... (7:53 AM) : 

This was beautiful...thank you. Tears are flowing, this is the kind of cry we need every once in awhile. I don't take our freedom for granted...and I am proud of our men and women in uniform. God bless them.

BTW...Anndi darlin, YOU ARE A SOFTIE!! HAHAHA

 

Blogger Dan said ... (8:35 AM) : 

Anndi, sweetie, thanks for posting this. It's very poignant. Hugs and smooches to you for doing this.

 

Blogger Debbie said ... (2:58 PM) : 

Thank you for the post..and the cry..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Damn, still crying. That peom is the bomb. Thanks...

 

Blogger Melissa Murphy said ... (2:18 AM) : 

That is the sweetest poem. I wish I could be as strong as that little girl!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (5:15 PM) : 

Meri

Hugs to you sweet friend.

Travis

Felt like the right time to post it. Smooch bro!

Gail

Have a tissue twiny. (am not!)

Dan

Thanks hon. Hugs and smooches for you too.

Mel's mom

Always ready with a shoulder if you need one.

Schmoop

It tends to have that effect. Hugs darlin'!

Mel

You are a very strong woman. Your path will be long and filled with crossroads. There will be more and more good days. But for now, just carry on one day at a time.

Hugs

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (10:36 PM) : 

such a touching post

I remember when my father in the Gulf War--he was in Vietnam as well but my memory of that is confined to after he was back. I give thanks to my mom who was able to keep me sheltered from that--being the filter that parents should be but are not always able to be in this day of information overload.

It was gut wrenching every day---trying to not focus on it--but having it there --omnipresent. I sent him silly stuff at Christmas--fake snow in a can and the Lifesavers "book" he always put in our stockings.and other 'regular' stuff. I sent a chunk of his mother's famous fruitcake--it's an old family recipe and we love it--it was soaked in rum.--not avialable there much--he said it was pretty well received--tee hee. He came home on the day of my sister Laura's wedding--it was bliss. We tacklehugged him on the tarmack.

Military service runs deeply as a tradition in my family. However I am so happy he is not there. And I know how it feels to wake-fearful every day --but courageous in supporting all those who stand on that wall.

I just cannot say enough about those who sacrifice.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (2:07 PM) : 

(((HUGS)))

Thanks so much little sis...I'm truly in tears now.

 

post a comment