Anndi's Luggage: It's quite strange really...
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Monday, January 08, 2007

It's quite strange really...

My mother lies dying and she fights for every second. People walk by her room, stop to ask how she is... come to stand by her... hold her hand... and I find myself comforting them. My aunt, my mother's friend, my great aunt who sees two of her sisters in their dying moments when she looks upon her niece lying on that bed, weighing less than 50 pounds. It's my place in the world, it's who I am. They wonder what is holding her back. 'That's between her and God' I say. 'She'll tell him when it's time to go.'

Mom worked for the Franciscan monks for thirty years, keeping their books ( I have NOT inherited her passion for book keeping, I mean, I can do it, but YUCK!), running one of the monasteries, managing the staff... my mother is and always has been a driver. And she won't change now.

We're fortunate. My mother has been taken in by people who nurture and love her, and care for her as if she were their own mother. The Franciscans have an infirmary and she has been in their care for months since her chemotherapy. Secular people are never admitted there as patients, but she is one of them and receives the best there is. I see the sadness in their eyes as she slips away, and I hug them or pat them on the back, thanking them for their compassion, comforting them in their own grief. They love my mother, and I love them.

The janitor comes in every once in a while and checks on her. He likes my mother; she always has a smile or a kind word for Robert. He has cognitive challenges, but is a good soul and works hard and my mother admires that... so do I. He's come in and checked on her twice this morning, so far...

People here worry about me, but I feel my mother's strength as it leaves her and flows to me, slowly. Her heart is still strong. Like Robert said to me this morning: 'she has a good heart'. Yes she does, in more ways then one.

She gave me life some 37 years ago, and continues to nourish me even though the umbilical chord has been cut for a long time, even though I married (ok, so that didn't work out so well), moved out and now support myself and my daughter. I've been stronger now than I ever have been. Don't get me wrong, I'm tired. I don't get much sleep. I'm not Superwoman. But my mother gives me strength.

I catch people looking at me, the nurses's aids in particular... they really fret over me. And I appreciate their kindness and concern. Some of them have been through this with their own mothers, fathers, one has lost her husband to cancer. They have shared this with me and it is difficult for them... to relive it all.

I've gotten to know the staff very well. I eat pretty much all my meals with them, I assist them in caring for my mother, and I touch or hug them a lot.

One of them, Jackie (ironically my mother's name is Jacqueline) who also has just one child, a girl, walks by the room around meal times on her shift and 'reminds' me to go down and get someting to eat. She mothers me like I'm her own daughter and I've seen a tear or two in her eyes when she comes in and kisses mom softly. I hug and kiss her all the time.

Robert sighting number 3....

And then there's Barbara, she has the sweetest smile. She loves it when Mom winks at her. When she moves Mom on the bed, Barbara snuggles up to Mom while holding her. She sat with Mom trying to get her to eat strawberry ice cream... every bite was a victory. She has the day off tomorrow and came in to kiss Mom and tell her she'd be back on Wednesday. I know she's afraid she won't get to see Mom open her eyes again. She left the room on the verge of tears, trying to hide it from me, but I watch closely. And I gave her the space she needed.

Denise brought Mom her new faithful friend last week, Pepe the colourful stuffed parrot and he's always on Mom's bed. poor thing had the call button clipped to his wing. I've taken over call button duties, I felt sorry for Pepe. She has always let Mom move at her own pace (Denise has a strong self -preservation instinct), even when it would take Mom 45 minutes to decide to take her medication. and then another 15 minutes to actually take it.

I sit in Mom's room, with my laptop on my lap (which can't find a wireless connection) on a big chair at the foot of her bed, writing this. This is where I've been sleeping the past few nights. In a room with white walls, a nice sized window, black and white checker floors ( I haven't counted the tiles.... yet...), knick knacks on the counter and pictures and cards on the dresser. I hear classical music in the hall in the morning and mid-afternoon, people walking by, the man in the room across the hall listening to the news (loudly), bits of conversations, life...

Robert sighting number 4...

Alain, one of the nurses here had a room made up for me so I could have a proper bed to sleep in... I never do sleep there, I just go into that room.. the special room... to call a family member or a friend to give them news so I won't disturb Mom. My mother really is sweet on him. She holds his hand tightly and winks at him when he comes to see her. He has come in from home in the middle of the night to give Mom her morphine injections because only a nurse is allowed to administer it in that form. I offered him the 'special room' he had readied for me, he smiled.

It seems my mother has a few sweethearts here. She calls François, a nurses's aid who I've often caught staring at me with concern in his eyes, 'mon chéri'. I've watched the tenderness he shows my mother, the way he handles her like fine china and makes certain things are done right, leaving instructions for the night shift and checking with me to make sure everything is ok. I've watched him tuck her in and kiss her cheek. he has great respect for the dying, and remembers that they have the right to dignity no matter how frail they are. He's a good man.

There's Nicholas, I think he's her favorite. He has kind eyes, is quite shy and felt awful when mom was in pain as he had to remove a bandage. It's sticky and removing it causes her pain. I actually offered to do it for him, but he said no. And did it with such gentleness, taking as much time as he needed even though he has so many other things to do and so many patients to care for.

So many people here comment on how strong-willed my mother is. But those who have gotten to know her understand. They tell me 'm like her, which would have infuriated me to no end a short time ago, you can't put two women like us in a room and expect calm waters. But I now see the good about it. And Mom slowly lets me become her voice... very slowly.


Mom's friend, father George Albert comes to see her every evening, like clockwork at 8:30. It's a ritual they started when she was first admitted here. Now, if she's sleeping, which she has been doing a lot of these days, he just says hello, blesses her and wishes me a good night.

Father Ferdinand, my new main squeeze, had his 88th birthday the week before Christmas. He stops off to say hello every evening on his way to his bath. And at lunch time I go up to him in the main dining room and kiss his cheek. Yup, I'm sweet on him.

I am fortunate to be surrounded by such wonderful people as the end of my mother's life draws near, people that have known my mother for years, decades even, and people that in a few short months have come to mean so much to her and to me.

Have I mentionned I've been blessed more times in the past few weeks than in my whole lifetime?

I miss my girl. I trust that someday she will understand why I have spent so much time far from her. She has my mother's spirit; I'm going to have my hands full.

A dear friend told me: 'you don't have to write it or post it. If it makes things harder then don't. But sometimes it helps to just write it down.' (-not an exact quote but it stuck in my head). Thanks bro. Your words mean the world to me. You are family.
To my dear friends who have been thinking of me these past few days... I love you.
Thank you.

The journey I've been on has been the most difficult I've ever faced, and it will only get harder. I draw my strength from mom, my girl, my family and my friends.

I love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "It's quite strange really..."

 

Blogger I blinded you with Science! said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Having gone down this path, it's odd, but I don't know what to say.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you

 

Blogger Coco said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Words don't say enough, so I'm sending you all the love and the tears and the grief that can't be expressed except in the heart. You are always in my prayers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Just wanted to say, Love you!!
Robin

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Anndi:
Wow...you have so much strength. I am thinking about you and your mom and praying.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (2:17 AM) : 

The chicklet is learning what it means to be there for the ones you love. She is learning life lessons that will serve her well. She has the best teacherand she will understand. My heart is with you and I think of you constantly.

I love you too Angelbaby.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (2:37 AM) : 

I wish you peace.

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (2:48 AM) : 

Anndi my dear friend, I can't imagine what you're going through...

warm hug

courage ma belle

 

Blogger Twyla said ... (7:20 AM) : 

I'm sitting here reading this with tears streaming down my face. I wish I could give you a big hug. Your words have taken me back to the time when my mother passed. I am lucky enough to have 2 sisters, and we took shifts staying by her bedside. More than anything, I remember being scared. I just want you to know that there are so many people out here thinking of you. Draw strength where ever you can. You will get through this.

 

Blogger Momkiss said ... (8:41 AM) : 

love from above. u must be a lot like your mom.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (9:49 AM) : 

My dear sweet little sis,

There is nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. You know that I love you and that I'm praying for you and your entire family.

I love you my dear Anndi...

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (9:50 AM) : 

It sounds like your mom is surrounded by wonderful people and so much love. Your family is in my prayers and my heart goes out to you. Your chicklet will be very proud of you as we all are. much love, M

 

Blogger Coco said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Checking in, dear. Hope all is well.

 

Blogger tiggerprr said ... (9:54 AM) : 

We don't know eachother well, other than time spent sitting on Bond's giant couch but I am deeply moved by your post and wish you and your mother peace and comfort. One can only hope to be surrounded by as much love and caring as it is clear she is.

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Anndi you are in my prayers, hon. Let us know how you are.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

****BIG HUGS****

we are here.

 

Blogger Angell said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Oh Ann, my sweet, precious friend. I am SO sorry for everything you are going through right now.

I agree with coco, there are no words at a time like this. Just know that I am sending you all the love and support I have across the miles. You are in my heart.

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (5:52 PM) : 

We're here for you, Anndi. God bless.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:39 PM) : 

:hugs her precious friend:

 

Blogger Amanda said ... (8:15 PM) : 

Ann, you and your family are in my prayers. Love you!

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (9:38 PM) : 

Dear sweet Anndi - Know that I am with you in spirit and that you and your Mom are in my prayers always. To say I love you..is just not enough...I can not express how much you mean to me. I pray that you can feel the gentle hugs I send your way. Bless you sweetie for all that you are!

Love,
Sueann

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (4:25 AM) : 

Just checking in Angelbaby--holding you in my thoughts

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (4:56 AM) : 

Hey sweetie...checking on you, letting you know you are constantly in my thoughts. Love you!
Sueann

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (4:32 PM) : 

bisous bisous

 

Blogger Coco said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Stopping by with a big hug and a piping hot casserole (that's what people do where I'm from, but consider yourself very lucky that it's only cyber, because the world's greatest chef I am NOT!)
Love you and thinking about you always.

 

Blogger Gail said ... (8:49 PM) : 

I am praying for you. And I love you...

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Hi hon...checking in to see how you are and to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you!!!!

Sueann

 

Blogger Julie said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Why is it that I can read this post over and over and not find words?

I offer you my arms to hug you; my thoughts to comfort you and my box of Puffs Plus to dry your tears.

I love you, Ann.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

still hugging....(a little groping)

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Sending many prayers and hugs your way, sweetie.

Love,
Pia

 

Blogger Coco said ... (6:01 AM) : 

Hugs. Love you. Praying for you.

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (10:22 AM) : 

thinking about you, praying and missing you like crazy. hugs

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

takes a breath...goes back to hugging

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (2:11 AM) : 

Out of sight BUT not out of mind

je t'embrasse tres tres fort! bisous

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (2:45 PM) : 

Sweetie - It is now Sunday, and have received no updates, as yet. Just know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. Love you, my Sister.

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (4:53 PM) : 

Here as a friend of Bond's: my prayers are with you and your family during this difficult loss.

Godspeed to your mother - may she now soar with the angels!

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I don't know what to say Anndi mon amour, my heart breaks for you

my condolences
je t'embrasse
courage
je t'aime cherie
may she rest in peace

 

Blogger tiggerprr said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Here via Bond's couch...I'm so saddened to hear of your loss and hope that your fond memories will carry you through this dark time. You and your mother remain in my thoughts.

 

Blogger Twyla said ... (7:36 PM) : 

So sorry to hear about your loss. I'm giving you a huge HUG from here.

 

Blogger Joey said ... (9:00 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Joey said ... (9:08 PM) : 

((((((((Anndi))))))))))

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thoughts and prayers for your and your family during this difficult time!

luv you!

Jo

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Wow. This was extraordinary. Really, really powerful.

 

post a comment