Anndi's Luggage: "A day without laughter is a day wasted."- Charlie Chaplin
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Friday, December 29, 2006

"A day without laughter is a day wasted."- Charlie Chaplin

I promised myself and a few people I would try and share more… a New Years resolution of sorts.. since this might be my final post for this year I thought I’d get off to a running start… Maybe this post will make it to the blog... we’ll see... at least I’m writing it.

Yesterday evening, three generations sat in a room and laughed together watching television. Nothing special about that usually, I mean families do that every day somewhere on this big planet of ours. The difference is that we didn’t watch in the family room, or the den, or the living room… we watched in the room my mother will most likely die in. We watched, we laughed, and that room felt like home. Who better than The Tramp himself to pull that off.

My mother watched and remembered times gone by, my daughter discovered the timeless genious of Charlie Chaplin and Life on Easy Street and I watched them both. And smiled.

Hope you enjoy these… I know I always will…



Les temps modernes





Charlie Chaplin The Kid 1921



For those of you not intimate with the full contents of the Luggage Hold, my mother has been in an extended care facility for some months now. A colorectal cancer we thought had gone into remission has spread. She had surgery some time ago, but the cancer had too strong a hold and this past year metastases were found on her lungs and thyroid. Chemotherapy was attempted but was not successful and her condition did not improve. All efforts to treat her were stopped this fall. Now… the focus is on controlling the pain.

I’ve taken off work since the week prior to Christmas to spend as much time with her as possible during the holidays, doing what I can to see that she is comfortable. She has been fighting and hanging on to the surprise of some of the staff … I don’t know what her unfinished business is, I don’t think I’ll ever know (love you Lee Ann). The weekend before Christmas we didn’t even think she would make it to her birthday on the 21st, let alone Christmas, but she fights… and I’ll take every day I have.

Two days ago Mom was in a deep sleep. I sat there as my daughter zipped around the halls of the infirmary making friends with people right and left, bringing smiles and laughter, in her Grandmother’s wheelchair. My Chicklet has been racing one of the residents and beating him every time.
Then a wave of sorrow came over me, an ache… I honestly thought my mother might be slipping into a coma.. I’d been warned this could happen.. I feared I would never again see her open her eyes and smile at me. My daughter and I had been there all afternoon, dinner came and went… I waited...
Finally Mom woke up as I was stroking her hair… and smiled.




Je t’aime Maman…

I love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on ""A day without laughter is a day wasted."- Charlie Chaplin"

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Anndi:
You have been the strength the last two weeks for mom and I am sure her being able to watch chicklet smile and laugh with the staff has helped mom to hold on.
Prayers are being said for her and your dad and you.

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Anndi girl, my heart goes out to you and your family. Your mom is truly a fighter. Your in my prayers sweetie. much love

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11:59 AM) : 

Bond and Mary... I thank God everyday for your friendship. Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I posted yesterday about some of the things I've learned from the women in my life. Strong women are no mystery to me. They anchor me.

During this time of most profound sorry, you should know that this kind of strength is in you from your mom, and that you have passed it on to Alice as well.

Love you my dear sweet friend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this, how powerful that is to think of the three of you together experiencing the simple pleasure of "together". I send you thoughts for all of your well-being and strength, which it seems you have in abundance.

 

Blogger I blinded you with Science! said ... (4:22 PM) : 

Anndi;

You'll be okay. It seems like it is a dream when we are going through it. Are we honestly living? We go through the motions and live life during this time.

There are many steps that happen and your mom seems to be a fighter. If you have any questions let me know. You are lucky that she has been with you for so long and that you have so many memories.

Just know you have the support of your friends.

 

Blogger Angell said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Oh honey - I wish I had the words.....

You're in my prayers and thoughts.

CYBER HUGS.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (1:00 AM) : 

My Sweet Ann

You've brought me joy when you were suffering sadness

I only hope that I can in some way help ease your pain as you have eased mine

I love you sweetie

L

PS

( I love it that you put the wonderful pic up that the chicklet took)

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (3:59 AM) : 

Anndi ma belle!

Courage chérie, je t'embrasse tres fort.

Mes meilleurs voeux pour 2007, GROS Bisous! Tres belle photo aussi!

 

Blogger Coco said ... (2:32 PM) : 

My prayers and much love for you and your family, Anndi. You're always in my thoughts.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (10:11 PM) : 

Oh Ann....words escape me yet hugs for you abound.

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (9:58 AM) : 

AAannnnddddiiii!

Your post brought me to my favorite emotion, which is, of course, laughter through tears.

Your Friend and Baggage Handler
-Lynn

 

Blogger John Holland said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I'm sorry to hear about what's going on. I understand what you're going through. You are showing an amazing stretgh, good luck. Thanks for visiting my blog and feel free to come back anytime.

 

Blogger Twyla said ... (2:16 PM) : 

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. :-( My mother passed away over 3 years ago, and I sat in her room with her everyday for the last week of her life. I hate thinking about it, so I know how hard this must be for you. Remember to cherish every moment you have with her. You are in my thoughts.

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (7:45 PM) : 

oh honey i soooo know those moments you are having with your mom and how hard it is but you will always remember the sweet things like her waking up with you stroking her hair. she knows you are there and that brings her comfort and peace. you are a good daughter.....bee

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:51 PM) : 

Bethany and I discovered the Marx Brothers this weekend and laughed our Onions off.

Anndi, I luvs ya and my prayers and with you, your mother, and your Chicklet.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Ann,

FINALLY... I can comment...

I love you too... way more than... well you know and now I can add way more than Vinny loves his vinyl too.

Remember, you and your family are in my prayers. Your mom and dad have raised a good girl.. I don't care what Vinny says about you, you are a good girl... ::wink and a softie too.

Love ya little sis!

 

post a comment