Anndi's Luggage: July 4th... where will you be this Independance Day?
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

July 4th... where will you be this Independance Day?

Great men and women have made the United States the country it is today...

These men and women keep it that way...





Happy Independence Day to all my American friends!



Last time I flew, I saw a member of the United States Military sitting on the ground at the aiport terminal, listening to his tunes and waiting for his flight. He looked like a child. So young.


I watched as so many people walked right by him, maybe they didn't notice him.. he was wearing his camo gear after all (yup blends right in to the wild decor of America's airports... Washington Dulles looks JUST like the desert - Heaven Knows there ain't much alcohol in the Nation's Capital).

I made my way over to him, crossing the stream of people walking hurriedly on their way (like salmon going up a stream to mate - well, you never know what the purpose of some trips are now do you). I stopped at his feet and crouched down, creating an obstacle, understanding how rocks in a stream might feel as salmon jump over them in their frenzy (yeah, I know.. rocks don't have feelings... they don't right?).


He looked up at me with a slight look of wonder on his face, such a young face. I felt a little twinge in my heart, I imagined how his mother, sisters, girlfriend might feel. I smiled at him and extended my hand, although the mom in me just wanted to reach out and hug him. He beamed back at me, and I caught a glimpse of the little boy he had once been, standing on the edge of a lake, skipping stones with his trusty dog by his side.

I shook his hand, this boy, this man, this hero. All I could say was:

'Stay safe'

He smiled, big, REAL big, and thanked me. I gave his hand an extra squeeze and said:'No, Thank YOU sweetie.' I let go of his hand, stood up and disrupted the flow of passers by and walked away, towards my next destination. I was going home to my family and I was going to hug them BIGTIME. (I looked back once, to take one of those mental pictures... so young).

I get the feeling this hasn't happened to him very often if at all. Leave it to the Canadian to promote goodwill! (we are nice aren't we...)



I don't know where he is today... Is he with friends and family, enjoying a backyard barbecue? Will he be holding his sweetheart in his arms as they watch the fireworks tonight? Or will he hear the sound of guns and bombs go off, the night sky filled with fire as he huddles with his comrades in arms, defending his flag.








Remember the price of FREEDOM. And no matter how you may feel about that war, respect the soldier who would die for you, for your flag, your freedom, your right to disagree.

Stay safe my friends. Enjoy your freedom. Thank a soldier.





Love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "July 4th... where will you be this Independance Day?"

 

Blogger Gail said ... (11:15 AM) : 

My twin...you make me so proud. (and cry)

I love you...this was a great post.

Thank you

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (11:56 AM) : 

It is a great post and tribute Anndi. I am just sad that these young men and women are putting their lives on the line for something that was not in the best interest of our great democracy. I just wish our President appreciated their lives and courage as much as you do. Okay I'm done now. Cheers!!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Gail,

Love you too twinny. Need the community snotrag? I think Dana has it.

Have a wonderful day with the boys!

**hugs**

Matt-man,

I hear what you're saying. It tore me up to think this young man would end up in harm's way.
(I had a patriotic flag-waving squirrel pic for you...)

Have a safe one!

 

Blogger Dan said ... (12:49 PM) : 

Anndi, you're a sweetheart. This is a beautiful post.

Thanks for reminding me what Independence Day is all about! Hugs and love to you for that! (And gropes.)

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Dan hon,

Thanks sweetie. My pleasure. Have a safe and happy celebration.

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Just when I thought I had enough reasons to love you, you give me another one! This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us. Hugs. :)

 

Blogger Sparky Duck said ... (10:21 PM) : 

another reason I just seem to love Canada is now because of Andi!

Oh and thanks for the Philly love

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:25 PM) : 

I knew I liked Canadians for a reason! Thank you Anndi, my precious friend.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (10:58 PM) : 

Meri,

You mean the Taylor right? ;)
Hugs

Ducky!
Very sweet of you, now I'm blushing. Hope your day was joyous.

Dana,

We can be nice, and we don't always fling zambonis.

Love ya Dana! You do realize we have to meet right?

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (12:57 AM) : 

So very well done my dear.

 

Blogger Amazing Gracie said ... (2:40 AM) : 

What a beautiful post! Thank you, thank you...and yes, I'm sniffing. I'm also feeling terribly guilty for the times I haven't done as you.
~~~Blessings~~~

 

Blogger The Boy said ... (4:48 AM) : 

Well said and well done. Regardless of the politics, when the young are sent to war, the rest of us have a duty to express our thanks. That's forgotten too much...

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Travis,

Thank you bro. High praise coming from you. Love you.

Gracie,

Thank you for stopping by. There's so much controversy surrounding the politics of war, but fine men and women sign up to serve their country, for that, they should be thanked.

It really feels good.

Boy,

Thank you (should I call you Sir?). No matter what their assignment, every member of the military serves to protect and defend. And they have families who wait for them and worry.

 

Blogger Angell said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Wonderful post Ann luv. Always making me cry - damn you woman!! LOL.

SMOOCHES.

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Speechless...

That was beautiful, my friend...you made my cry, too. I'll give you a big hug tomorrow for that one, I promise!

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Trying this again.

I knew there would be a warm, well-written, touching post here...even from a Canadian on Independence Day- hehe) AND i WAS 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000% CORRECT.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Angell,

You're a big softie... Love ya!

SMOOCHES

Pia,

WOOOOOOOOOOO!! Looking forward to that hug ;)

Bondbaby,

Nice to see that cute mug of yours. Thank you.. I think...

SMOOCH

 

Blogger Julie said ... (9:59 PM) : 

Oh so perfect Sweet Ann. I felt a little twinge in both eyes and that doesn't happen too often.

I will be bold and do as you did when I see military personnel.

*hugs*

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (10:33 AM) : 

What a lovely post Anndi =)

 

post a comment