Anndi's Luggage: Canadian content – Five for Friday
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Friday, February 16, 2007

Canadian content – Five for Friday


I’m Canadian and proud of it. Here are a few artists that rock my world. I’ve included many songs.. feel free to sample… there’s something for everyone.

1- The Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive (inextricably linked)



The band was formed in Winnipeg (or Winterpeg as it’s also known up round these parts…) back in 1960 and has evolved much over the years… They were the first Canadian Rock Band to have a number one single in the U.S. (WOOOOO!) with the classic ‘American Woman’. It was to one of the two number one hits they would have in the States.

Back in the day, the driving force behind The Guess Who was Burton Cummings (vocals and keyboards) and Randy Bachman (guitar). They gave the band a harder driving sound and brought a sweet blues and jazz influence to the music.















Differences lead Randy to leave the The Guess Who in 1970 during the recording of ‘The Way They Were’ and he then formed the hugely successful Backman-Turner Overdrive.









2- RUSH…






A band made up of some of Canada’s (if not the world’s) best musicians..
Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and of course Neil Peart (IMHO the best drummer alive today – and my daughter’s current idol).








The journey began…

From hard rock and blues (heavily influenced by bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple)…





To progressive rock, and story-telling…





Geddy Lee’s synthesizers became ever more present during the 80s… Neil incorporated electronic drums and percussion… I grew up to this…










On Valentine’s Day the holy trinity announced the new Album would be called ‘Snakes and Arrows’… to be released… Neil.. drumroll please.. March 1st! With a tour this summer.. oh boy oh boy oh boy!







3- Sarah McLachlan

Sarah possesses one of the most beautiful and haunting female voices today. She was the founder of Lilith fair, a tour that celebrated and showcased female talent.

Her music sets a tone of sensual abandon and prepares for endless nights of pleasure, passion, and that sweet slow burn…














Her cover of the Beatles classic Blackbird is worth a listen… She recorded it for the film ‘I am Sam’.

4- The Tragically Hip

Canadians have a love affair with the Hip… They’re part of our National Fabric. Just Another Roadside Attraction… Gordon Downie, the lead singer for the Hip has a habit of going off into improvised versions of their songs in concert. Gord likes to tell little stories to the music. They’re actually quite entertaining.





On March 6th, their latest CD ‘World Container’ will be released nationally in the U.S.







I love Bubbles…


5- The Barenaked Ladies (BNL)

My list this week wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t include them… Americans will, by listening to their ‘If I had a $1000000’, learn that it’s Kraft Diner.. and not Kraft Macaroni and Cheese… (FYI if you go to a concert the boys frown upon the throwing of said dish).





The band was formed by Steven Page and Ed Robertson. The two became fast friends after going together to a Bob Dylan concert where, because the show was, in their opinion ‘lame’, they started improvising as music critics and came up with ‘Barenaked Ladies’ as an imaginary name for Dylan’s band. Soon after, Ed was supposed to play a gig, the band he’d been in no longer existed, and when the promoter called to confirm and told him the band’s name had changed to ‘Barenaked Ladies’. He called Steven up, told him what he’d said and would he want to join him, they played the gig and the rest is history.












Hope you enjoyed a trip around Canadian Content… there’s more.. for another time…


Love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Comments on "Canadian content – Five for Friday"

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6:42 PM) : 

Oh, Oh, Oh.... BTO and Rush and The Guess Who... Oh, Oh, Oh...

SMOOCHES!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Good choices, Anndi Panndi!

 

Blogger Dave said ... (8:00 PM) : 

Great taste in music. Too bad I listen to tin on my laptop speakers.

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (8:05 PM) : 

BTO got me excited, but RUSH -- OMG!!!! I just heard today on the radio about the new album and tour. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

Can't wait!!!

 

Blogger Julie said ... (10:30 PM) : 

Oh my those Sarah masterpieces nearly blew me away as it burned memories in my mind. Whoa! I kinda figured you for an "Ice Cream" girl!

Thanks so much!

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (10:12 AM) : 

I love love love the Guess Who! So hey, Cummings did a movie, I think it was about his life, that was the first time I heard the song "goodbye girl" which is one of my all time fav's. Maybe the movie was called that? I don't recall do you know?

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Dixie

LOL welcome back to the comment section of blogger dear LOL

HSGR

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Dana!

Thanks sweetie

hugs precious friend

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Dave

Thanks for stopping by. There's a lot of good music up here. Sorry about having to use the laptop.
LOL!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Songbird

I KNOW!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Julie

I had to limit my song choices.. I could post a lot more of Sarah... and I do love that song..

She is a gem.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Flygirl!

Um.. I think it was Melanie or Melissa.. not sure..

I love Burton's voice.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (11:12 AM) : 

YUMMMMMM

Excellent music Angelbaby--Rsuh and BTO and The Guess Who ---Oh My


And Sarah--yes hell yes she makes me melt into a warm puddle of YUM

BNL make me SMILE

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Who knew foreign countries had bands... bwahahahahahaahah - just teasing.. but seriously..

GUESS WHO.. loved them always.. just wondered why the song was not CANADIAN WOMAN... hummm

BTO played orientation week my freshman year at RIT.. rousing good time.. drunk like skunks we were

Always enjoyed RUSH.. Mr. lee lives near my good friend and I have actually tipped a few in the local pub with him once. EN\njoyed most of their music.. but not all.

SARAH - as you said phenomenal voice and a true proponent of the female artists

TRAGICALLY HIP - I am embarrassed to say, I had not heard anything by them. Liked your samples though

BNL: WHAT??? they ain't chicks naked on stage??? who'da thunk it!?
Always enjoyed their sound

Thanks for the trip Ms. Anndi... your luggage is always an incredible place to play
KISS

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Turn

Guess Who, BTO, RUSH.. rock on!

Sarah.. mush.. yup.. now I have to post the "dance" versions!

BNL.. they crack me up.. and make me car dance too!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Bond

Harumpf…

So…

I don’t know, I’ll have to ask Burton, he’s a bit of a horndog (or so I’ve heard)…
Maybe cause he doesn’t want a Canadian woman to “stay away” from him?… I mean.. we ARE irresistible! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Actually it’s been claimed by Bachman that it was a reference to the Statue of Liberty.. and an anti-war stance…

And.. Jim Kale (the bassist) has said:

“The popular misconception was that it was a chauvinistic tune, which was anything but the case. The fact was, we came from a very strait-laced, conservative, laid-back country, and all of a sudden, there we were in Chicago, Detroit, New York -- all these horrendously large places with their big city problems. After that one particularly grinding tour, it was just a real treat to go home and see the girls we had grown up with. Also, the war was going on, and that was terribly unpopular. We didn't have a draft system in Canada, and we were grateful for that. A lot of people called in [sic] anti-American, but it wasn't really. We weren't anti-anything. John Lennon once said that the meanings of all songs come after they are recorded. Someone else has to interpret them.”

BTO… WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! What does a skunk look like when drunk? What’s their beverage of choice?

RUSH… you TOUCHED a member of the Holy Trinity?

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

THUD!


Sarah is a dream..

The HIP are VERY popular in Canada as I said.. they’ve never sought the US market.. not surprised you wouldn’t know them.. but now you have no excuse bwahahahahahahaha!


The BNLs are more fun than … well… a bunch of naked women on stage! LOL

Rummage all you want but then I’m going to have to repack it myself. The Customs Official may want to do a body search if I tell him you’ve been in there… bwahahahahaha!

Kiss? No no no.. they were from NYC… weren’t they? Sheesh you should know that!

SMOOCHES ;-)

 

Blogger Tisha! said ... (1:29 PM) : 

With you as my guide how could I not enjoy my visit around Canadian content sweet lips!? Enjoyed every moment querida! thanks! mouaaaaaaaaah

 

Blogger Gail said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Love all of em...listening to BNL's new (sorta) CD now...

kisses twinie

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (3:25 PM) : 

Oh - Canada rocks!!

 

Blogger Dave said ... (4:44 PM) : 

I'm bad who did what when it comes to music. Give me some Canadian Blues.

If you gave The Who, SM and BNL, there must be someone with an internal heat system that listened to BB, Mr. Johnson and maybe was there before god, Mr. Clapton, or his son, Billy Ray.

Tell me.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (10:16 PM) : 

Barenaked Ladies? I thought that was Bill Clinton's favorite band? ;-p

 

Blogger TopChamp said ... (12:40 PM) : 

Hello - have just found your new layouted blog. It's very pretty!

Listening to the music just now whilst putting new Brownies' details into my database.

 

post a comment