Anndi's Luggage: I’m ashamed…
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I’m ashamed…

WARNING... I’M ANNOYED AND THERE IS TALK OF SPORTS IN THIS POST (but there’s something else at the end worth your time).

I witnessed some shameful behaviour on the part of so-called fans aka fanatics last night after the Habs went back to their season winning style in game 7 of their series and pulled off a shut-out (THANK YOU Carey Price!!!) to clinch the series and move to the next challenge.

I’m a born and bred, died in the wool, blood runs red-white-and-blue Habs fan. It’s family tradition. No matter if they win or lose, I love my team and I’m proud of it’s long and illustrious history.

I want to apologize to my team for the behaviour of some misguided, intoxicated, poorly raised arses and the way they tarnished my team, my city, the rest of Habs Nation and sports fans in general.

What kind of fan does this? Are they even fans at all? In the old days, the great days of La Sainte Flanelle, we took each of these victories as a step towards the ultimate prize… Lord Stanley’s Cup. The playoffs aren’t over, we have not won the cup (yet- a girl can hope) and we have miles to go before we can start chanting “25” (The Habs have won 24 cups over the years- I witnessed a few of them and they are making a run for this one). The Habs won their best-of-seven quarter-final series.. not the cup. They still have to win 12 games to bring that cup “home”… easier said than done.

After the riot, 16 people were arrested on numerous counts, among them 2 17 year olds and a 14 year old… FOURTEEN!

Many people are asking why… It’s on every radio station’s morning show and will carry through to afternoon call-in shows and be discussed ad nauseum in an attempt to answer that very question. You look at the age group that participated in this, you wonder about the level of intoxication, you ask where the hell were those teenagers’ parents? Basically, you ask: WTF!!!

This is but one facet of what has become the sports fanatic. There are many ugly sides.

I want my daughter to experience the pride that comes with the Cup win. But I’ve told her how ashamed I am of what happened last night and that I question what kind of idea of “sportsmanship” those miscreants were brought up with…
In sports, one team plays the best game (sometimes that day- sometimes it’s a reflection of the season) and bests the other and one team ends up losing… but I’ll give props to The Bruins who fought the good fight and tried to come back from a deficit but just weren’t in the long run able to sustain it. I celebrate my team’s win (not the other team’s loss). This was a hockey fan’s beauty of a series... hockey at its best.


There is a great deal of research into the sports fan and fanatics phenomenon which titillates someone with a psych background like myself. Are riots like this and other anti-social behaviour often engaged in by “fans” caused by deindividuation? A phenomenon by which “people lose their self-awareness and have decreased concern for how others around them evaluate their actions” (Mann, et al., 1982). People have done shameful things in the name of being a sports fan… thinking it’s harmless.

We have to start thinking about how we’re going to deal with the next matches… What are the measures we have to put in place to avoid this kind of stupidity.

I don’t know what went wrong, but I’ve seen some behaviour in fans that I don’t like… this kind of crap, bleacher creatures, opponent bashing…. So, I’ll do what I can to guide my Chicklet so she focuses on the good stuff. It’s all I can do really.

That, and fly my HABS flag high and proud. :)

Thanks for a great series boys… now let’s regroup, learn from our stumbles in this series and tackle, or is it cross-check ;-) the next one!


On a positive note…

Earth Day aka the important stuff…

If you’re at a computer and you don’t know today is Earth Day you’ve been playing too many games, dude.

There are many ways you can have a positive impact on the environment and improve your environmental footprint.

Sign up for online bills. This allows you to reduce waste and the need to recycle – which by the way, is NOT available everywhere (I KNOW Newman will get upset with me for this… but hey, let him go postal. Besides, I’m not pulling a Kramer asking ALL my mail to be stopped).

Find out about composting. It’s a great way to make whatever doesn’t qualify as edible left-overs (assuming the food was edible in the first place) and your kitchen waste work for you. You won’t have to buy chemical fertilizers, no bagging of lawn cuttings (free-up landfill space) and you’ll be saving your money and the environment… If you think that can’t really make a difference, 24% of the municipal waste stream in the U.S. is made up of yard trimmings and food residuals. Think about it.
For more info on composting: in Canada and in the U.S.

Find out how to block unwanted mail from heading strait to your recycle bin… Because paper can’t end up in your compost bin.

Try to wash your clothes in cold water, using phosphate free cleaners and really ask yourself if it needs laundering… and if you can, line-dry your clothes. Less energy is used up, you might be able to reduce waste water generated and there’s something great about sleeping in line-dried sheets. If you can’t line-dry because of too much dirt where you live, that should be incentive enough to do what you can to be greener.

If you can, plant a garden (you have to use that compost somewhere!) and while you try and reduce your CO2 emissions by driving around less, you’ll be planting things that will absorb some of that CO2 you can’t eliminate… plus it’s seriously pretty AND there’s nothing like fresh veggies on your table. Get the kiddos involved!

I’ll let everyone else bombard you with other ‘green’ solutions…

Enjoy the day , I hope the sun is shining in your neck of the woods. (Watch out for UV rays though…)

Love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , ,

Comments on "I’m ashamed…"

 

Blogger Doc said ... (4:13 PM) : 

The only cup I know anything about is the NASCAR Sprint cup (formerly NEXTEL and Winston Cup)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

This is why I have stopped going to "pro" sporting events...well one of the reasons anyway. The behavior in the stands is intolerable...time after time. I feel bad for the parents who bring their kids to a ball game (or hockey game...I'm not discriminating here) and listen to a bunch of drunken morons scream obscenities at the field and other people in the stands. Who needs to pay the ever climbing prices for that? I've turned to the semi-pro leagues. The tickets are inexpensive, the stadiums are clean, the games are just as good if not better, and the crowds are great.

 

Blogger Mimi Lenox said ... (7:09 PM) : 

I did not hear about this but it sounds abominable and I'm sorry Chicklet had to witness such.
But I do love the way you (eloquently) speak your mind.

And thanks for the "Green" ideas. I actually bought flowers today to plant on the deck. Now about that composting....

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Doc: I have heard of such a cup... ;)

Coopernicus: Yeah... You forgot the flashers, the "ladies" who lift their tops to get on the big screen.
what are we teaching our kids when we denigrate the other team?

Mimi: She saw footage of the riot, and I saw it as a great opportunity to discuss some of the finer points of sportsmanship.

As for the green stuff, The Chicklet has been thinking green for a while now through school recycling projects and since I'm hoping she'll be on this planet longer than I, it's incentive to do our part. We'll be working on her garden this weekend :). She wants to plant cucumber, tulips, roses and the rest of list is still under construction LOL

Thank you for the compliment (I know not everyone apreciates it when I state my views)

SMOOCH

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (8:25 PM) : 

I've never understood the need to trash your town when your team wins (or loses) something.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (6:19 AM) : 

Travis: There are many "fan" behaviours I don't understand that disturb me more than classic mob behaviour.. but it really is shameful. In a case like this one, the riot happened quite some time after the game let out and I suspect there were some opportunists mixed in with the fans.

 

Blogger R.E.H. said ... (6:20 AM) : 

The violence among supporter groups in Europe is a LOT worse than it is in the States. I sure hope it doesn't start to happen there as frequently as it does over here, where violence is pretty much a guarantee if the home team loses... sporting events should be a family fun day, and no one should have to worry about their safety in such a place.

It is tragic when that happens.

 

Blogger Lu' said ... (6:37 AM) : 

Not a sporto but I think I know enough to know you were speaking of a hockey team? I've been to two Hershey Bears games and enjoyed it. I like being close to the ice. Do you have a veggie garden?

 

Blogger Doc said ... (7:12 AM) : 

Hey Anndi... come and visit me in Kannapolis, NC sometime we'll "learn" ya about some Cup racin'

;-)

 

Blogger none said ... (8:38 AM) : 

Fools that riot at sporting events deserve to be prosecuted to the fullest extent. They ruin it for the rest of us.

 

Blogger Romeo Morningwood said ... (11:51 AM) : 

I can't handle going to Sporting Events either..this isn't something new either because even when the Jets were still in WhatEVERpeg you couldn't go to a game avec les enfants..NFW!

even my Foo Fighters Concert a month ago was sullied because of the Booze!

I am no teatotaler (HELLO!) but for f*ck sake they need to limit the number of drinks that these idiots can have! Last night's rioting is disgraceful and those little bastards should all serve time and make restitution. Time to crack down Fast and Hard.

 

Blogger buffalodick said ... (1:56 PM) : 

What the Heck is a Hab? Is it somebody the Red Wings have to give a hockey lesson to? :) That ought to get you going....

 

Blogger The Ferryman said ... (3:25 PM) : 

Okay, I think I've got the gist of it. You're talking about ice fishing or curling, right?

 

Blogger Dianne said ... (4:16 PM) : 

thanks for all the helpful green advice.

as for sports craziness - I totally agree with you. At the Meadowlands here in NJ they stop selling booze at half-time. this started after a horrible Monday noght game - it was Halloween to boot!! - and we were playing our bitter foes Buffalo. Seats were set on fire, Buffalo fans who had driven down got into horrible fights with equally drunk and stupid Jets fans. I was at the game and had to help an older couple out of their seats and put them somewhere safe. Then my son had to jump between me and a bunch of women - yes women!! - who were grabbing any woman with a Jets shirt and trying to pull their hair out.

It was so bad they interrupted network programming to tell about it. Took a long time before I felt like going back there.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (4:19 PM) : 

This has happened in other cities after teams have won....Detroit, Boston et al....

It is ridiculous to riot over a teams win...

Congrats to your Habs...they have to go through MY Rangers to hoist that Cup though! hehehe

Green is good

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (5:32 PM) : 

r.e.h.: It's not just the riots that bother me, and luckily they aren't as common place as the "hooligan" phenomenon in Europe... I wonder about how young fans will turn out.

Lu': Yup! Hockey! And there is something great about being rink side...
We're planting one this year, it'll bering back memories of childhood.

Doc: My honey used to race and has taken upon himself to give me "instruction" *giggle*

Hammer: agreed my friend!

 

Blogger mauniejames3 said ... (5:45 PM) : 

when the red sox won last year in Boston they were prepared...we were
worried that something may happen in another part of Boston...all the cops were at Fenway park..too bad that we have to worry that so called fans could destry there own park and city's they should be ashamed........

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Donn: it's getting harder and harder and some disgraceful behaviour is also going on in kids' sports... Who teaches kids about socially acceptable behaviour nowadays?
Did "Winterpeg" thaw out yet?

Buff: smartass.. but I still like you. Good luck against Colorado!

Fabby: snowshoeing actually...

Dianne: You're welcome!
Crowd mentality.. ugh. And apparently it's ok to denigrate a team... they're not human, they don't have feelings... Good on you and your son for doing what needed to be done.

Bond: Riots are an issue, but that's not all that bothers me... that's what it culminates to when other anti-social behaviour passes as "fan" behaviour first.

You really need to brush up on your playoff info... in the Eastern conference semi-finals, your Rangers have to make it past Pittsburgh (good luck with that, they have never won a playoff series over Pittsburgh - maybe 4th time's a charm) and MY Habs make it by Philly (hopefully they'll repeat something they've done before). I know you don't really give much of a hoot about hockey... you said so in your sports post a short while back, or are you catching playoff fever?

 

Blogger Jeff B said ... (8:43 PM) : 

It's absolutely nuts these days at spoting events. Footbal is notorious for rude behavior from the fans. I want to take my boys to go see a game, but I question whether its worth it or not.

Great suggestions too for helping reduce waste. If one good thing comes from the higher gas prices maybe it will be less driving as a whole resulting in fewer toxic emmissions.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Mauniejames: The cops were around, but I think they thought after a while nothing bad would happen and then BOOM!
This wasn't the cup for Pete's sake!
The association between sports and alcohol doesn't help matters...

Jeff: I despise people who put the other team down and I've seen that with football... a lot. Maybe try some lower level games first, although, people act like morons everywhere now.
You're welcome!
I'm hoping one other good thing from driving around less is people might start walking or taking their bikes more. We have someone who bikes to work everyday.. dude is FIT!

 

Blogger Acrimony said ... (10:06 PM) : 

I won't admit to having to google "Habs" in order to find out what Hockey team you were talking about. I never will understand why people think that rioting is the way to react to any situation. It really boggles my mind.

On the "green" front, have you ever heard of gDiapers? http://www.gDiapers.com They are flushable and compostable diapers and they recently launched in parts of Canada!

It's one of the ways my family has helped keep thousands of disposable diapers out of the landfill.

 

Blogger Gene Bach said ... (10:30 PM) : 

Hockey is a sport? I thought it was a sleep aid.

JUST KIDDING! LOL!

At least you have a team that can win. I'm a baseball nut and root for the Cubs. I'll be turned to dust before they win.

Some fan's behavior is abhorrent. I have never understood the need to riot after a game.

 

Blogger Gene Bach said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Oops, earth day, almost forgot. We don't contribute to that 24%. All our grass trimmings get dumped in the chicken pen and they take care of scratching it to shreds.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:22 PM) : 

That kind of stuff always makes me mad - go and have fun but for goodness sakes, respect others!

 

post a comment