Anndi's Luggage: Sirens of song…Thursday Thirteen
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Sirens of song…Thursday Thirteen

Torch songs… The women who sing of LOVE…



‘Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.’ – Percy Shelley

Some of the most beautiful love songs, songs of love found, longed for, lost, and of obsession that I’ve ever heard are sung by or covered by women.. Maybe it’s because I can relate…

I thought, for my Thursday Thirteen that I’d share with you a few of my favorites (in no particular order) and I have limited myself to Thirteen.. Why? Well because I’m following the rules (argh!)… How Canadian of me.. LOL!

I have witnessed in the past few months and weeks some wonderful pairings…

My dear friend Sue is now engaged to be married, and to think she thought it would never happen for her… I am beyond thrilled for her… Everyone deserves a second (or third etc etc etc) chance at LOVE.. the big one! Congrats Sue! Frank… treat her right, she is precious. I’ve got my eye on you Frank…

And my dear friend, my big bro Travis has met and fallen hard for a beautiful woman with a kind soul, Pam.. I’m sure some of these songs will resonate.. the ones about love found.. love lasting… may you dance to a few of these my dears.

And when I think of solid, strong couples.. there’s Robin and Wayne.. two of the sweetest people you could ever meet..

I won’t give you all reasons why these songs are so wonderful… just a few words about them.. and I hope you’ll seek out the ones I haven’t ‘youtubed’ or ‘Bestaudiocoded’ because quite frankly.. I’d never hear the end of it..



**Sarah MacLachlan ** Etta James ** Dinah Washington **Ella Fitzgerald ** Diana Krall ** Holly Cole ** Sarah Vaughn ** Norah Jones ** Billie Holiday ** Lena Horn ** Edith Piaf ** Nina Simone **Judy Garland ** Diana Ross ** Natalie Cole **


… Such beautiful, strong voices…

Here goes…






Thirteen Things about Torch songs and love songs


1…. Ice Cream – I have a sweet tooth.. Sarah McLachlan is one of my favorite artists, her voice haunts me.. her lyrics find my soul….

2. Sunday Kind of Love – longing for that special love… a lasting love… Dinah Washington, Etta James have interpreted this song with their own stylings, and who can’t relate to this one? Anyone? I think my dear Bento just might enjoy this one… know how much you love Etta… you deserve that kind of love buddy!

3. At Last (for Sue…and Pam..) – this is a song that gives be goosebumps… Oh Joy and jubilation… Miss Etta strikes again.. I’m not even listening to anyone else’s version.. no I’m not!

4. Our Love is Here to Stay – Robin and Wayne… I think of you. I love the way you interact and do things together.. you’ve both touched my heart. And this is the only exception to the all women choices.. Ella and Louis… perfect!

5. Body and Soul - Billie Holiday.. that’s all there is to say about that one..ooh and Sarah Vaughn… timeless! Pining for that special someone…

6. The Nearness of You – I heard Norah Jones sing this and .. well.. *sigh*

7. E’vry Time We Say Goodbye – Ella Fitzgerald, the clearness of her voice, que c'est beau!

8. Embraceable You – as sung by Sarah Vaughn… Take the time to listen.. it’s divine!

9. I’ve Been Loving You Too Long – Etta makes you feel the pain..

10. La Vie en Rose – this one is for Trav.. thud away my dear.. thud away!

11. But not for me – Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn sing this beautifully.. and Judy, Judy, Judy!!! Cements my opinion that George and Ira Gershwin were brilliant!

12. Possession – another Sarah McLachlan song .. passion.. need.. urge.. an overwhelming desire..

13. It’s Magic.. – as I was going through all the songs I was considering for this list, I came across this one.. and it was clear. This one is for Pam and Travis.. I leave you with this song.. it’s one of the most beautiful. Dance away my dear friends.. dance away. I'll be sending you that one.. just for the two of you.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)








Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!









‘When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.’ – Henry David Thoreau



So, here’s a few of those songs.. the Thursday Thirteen.. I do love a multimedia show

At Last


At Last
By Etta James
BestAudioCodes.com


Possession


Possession
By Sarah McLachlan
BestAudioCodes.com


Embraceable you


Embraceable You
By Sarah Vaughan
BestAudioCodes.com


La Mome.. there was just something about her..her eyes.. the windows to her soul.. Beautiful. - Edith Piaf - La Vie en Rose.





Yeah Yeah I know.. 13.. well here’s a bonus track.. hey it’s good to bend the rules…

As Time Goes By.. sung by Natalie Cole



As Time Goes By
By Natalie Cole
BestAudioCodes.com


Happy Thanksgiving to my American Friends.. you've brought me so much...

I love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, smooches and gropes!

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Sirens of song…Thursday Thirteen"

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (10:45 PM) : 

no more complaints about teaching you to embed... wonderful post my friend...just wonderful

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (4:35 AM) : 

Lovely Ann

 

Blogger Angell said ... (5:24 PM) : 

Nice job Ann baby!!! I have to learn to embed the audio into my blog - BOND - oh wait, he's in enough trouble....

Both of us doing music - must be a sign - but of what I have NO idea.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (5:48 PM) : 

All worthy choices - and artists.

Let me just add - Roberta Flack, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (7:26 PM) : 

ANNDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! Thank you, my dear sweet friend! If I could reach you right now I would hug the dickens out of ya! Always thinking of others. I love you girl!

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (9:34 PM) : 

**wipes tears of happiness away** Oh Anndi...I just love "At Last"....always have...I would love to have that played at my wedding to Frank. It would be perfect...because..."AT Last"..sigh...Love you Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than your luggage!

 

post a comment