Anndi's Luggage: "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." - Vince Lombardi
With love and pride
I was humbled
Hear The Latest Show
Just Hit Play
Template Design By: Sanni Refurbished: 2007VEM
My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If somebody doesn't believe in me, I can't believe in them.

FAVOURITE DESTINATIONS
RECENT TRAVELS
PAST TRAVELS

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." - Vince Lombardi

Time...

I must first say that I am beyond relieved that Matt, Vince’s son made it through his ‘vehicular mishap’ in one piece. My thoughts and prayers are with them…
Vince, tell me if this is true:


"Between the ages of twelve and seventeen a parent can age thirty years." - Sam Levenson
(- and does it stop at seventeen???)




Today I met a man I’d spoken with on the phone several times as I was organizing a conference. As a safety manager my goal was to reach our folks with a deep and probing message, above the usual standard safety stuff.. And this man did it today, at least for a few people.

He’s had a very interesting career path to say the least. He worked as a mechanic for a large corporation, a foundry... the type of business I was in before entering the fine world of chemicals. He was one of those people that people like me get ulcers over... the kind that have a safety record a mile long and take chances constantly.
So, he’s been a mechanic, a reporter, an ambulance driver, an embalmer, a supervisor… and now... he’s an amazing motivational speaker, because what he says, he says from the heart… He has a voice, and today: he was heard.

He makes no excuses for his behavior, he was often times reckless, and it cost him an eye, he can no longer lift things since he wrecked his back after a fall, and it will cost him his life. And time... time he won’t have with his 4 grandkids, 2 children and his wife...

You see… he didn’t wear gloves, ever, when he embalmed bodies. And the inevitable happened. He contracted a very rare and deadly form of Hepatitis, he was infected through a cut on his finger. And he has now survived past the normal expectancy of about 12 years for someone with this disease.

As I celebrated Thanksgiving with my Chicklet and Dad this year, and visited Mom in the hospital, I struggled with the knowledge that this was certainly Mom’s last Thanksgiving. He struggled with the same thought about the time he has left with his own family…

He’ll get to spend what seems to be his last Christmas with his family this year...


I do this every night, but I took a little extra time today.. do me a favor.. hug your kids, your spouse, heck, hug your pets… tell the people you love just how important they are to you.. this man doesn’t have much time left… and when his light finally does go out, the world will be a little darker..
And I’ll have a lost my latest friend…


I love you all more than my luggage!
Hugs, hugs, hugs, hugs, smooches and gropes!

Comments on ""We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." - Vince Lombardi"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 PM) : 

You're so right Anndi, we must always treat those around us as though it's the last time we will ever see them because we are not promised tomorrow! Love you girl!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Life is extremely too short to be taken for granted. Not a days goes by that I don't tell ALL my loved ones that I love them! It's the last thing I tell my kids when I leave for work in the morning and the last thing I tell them when we go to bed at night.

I love you!
Lee Ann

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Sugah it surely is true that teens can age a parent...
And they they get older and y'all think you don't have to worry anymore...but you still do...all the time... I know this because mom and dad still worry over me...

Thank you for the kind thoughts Sweetness... SMOOCHES

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Wow. Thanks for sharing that, Anndi Panndi!

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Anndi, what a sad, yet inspiring story about your friend. God Bless him! I am thankful, that after moving away from home at 18, I became a person that tells everyone how much I love them, as often as I can. I was not raised that way, but being away from my loved ones gave me the perspective I needed. I love you, Anddi!

 

post a comment